Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A somber moment

I have not written lately; I have been too busy. But as a race car driver, I wanted to comment on the Paul Dana accident in the Indy Car race at Homestead Florida. Ironically, it was on a racing show many years ago that Bobby Rahal, the owner of Paul's car, when talking about racing said "the highs are higher than the lows are low". At times like these, it is difficult to reconcile those words.

I didn't know Paul personally, but I did know him in a way. I can image the joy and excitement in his voice when someone asked him about racing. I can feel the energy he exuded when he was around the cars and the focus in his manner in which he approached racing. And Bobby agreed that the attribute you needed most to succeed in racing was commitment. I have seen drivers that committed. They eat, work and sleep racing. They sweep up floors to be around race cars and drive many miles to look for the break to get them in a car. When someone puts out that much effort it is heartening when they make it to the top.

Was he inexperienced? Maybe. The problem with racing is that if you are not good, racing usually points it out quickly,and in some cases, very cruelly. However, racing took the lives of Jim Clark, Bruce McLaren, and Ayrton Senna; their talent was not suspect. Did he need more experience? Maybe. If he had made it through that practice session, he might have dropped out on the first lap of the race. Or, he might have gone on to finish well, and gain that experience they say he needed. The discussion of driver experience needs to be had, and if Paul's death moves that along, then so be it. The circumstances leading up to his accident will be discussed and analyzed, and racing will be better for those who come after. Will it ever be 100% safe? No, then it becomes just a carnival ride. Racing tests a driver's judgment, just like a baseball pitcher's arm. The stakes are just higher.

I feel the most pain for his family and hope they do not become bitter. It is tough to explain why I like racing, even though so many of my heros and even friends have been killed or injured. Logically it would make more sense to take up something like golf. If, however; you want to know what attracts people like Paul Dana to racing, seek them out. They are out there every weekend at every track. They don't all have the same reasons for being there, but they share the same enthusiasm, and love of life. I must warn you, it is infectious and I take to responsibility if you get caught up in it.

25 min

No comments: